Freelance Software DeveloperDec. 2013 – Present
Self-employed, Birmingham AL
Software prototyping and development.
- Dryad Digital Repository (2016): back- and front-end development
to improve metadata-harvesting interface and browser interface for online digital repository.
- Printing-services client (2015 – 2016): early-stage application and system design,
specification, and prototyping for electronic statement delivery platform.
- Literary Paris / Maps and Texts (2015): web and markup development for a digital humanities project
supporting literary cartography coursework.
- Open Bibliography (2014): web and markup development for a digital humanities project
supporting online publication of descriptive bibliographies.
Repository Programmer/Associate in ResearchJun.
2014 – Mar. 2015
Dryad Digital Repository, Durham NC
Application development for Dryad, an online digital repository of scientific data.
- Prototyping and implementation of data display interfaces.
- Development and maintenance of application services and development infrastructure.
Software Developer Oct. 2013 – Dec.
Street Group, Pittsburgh PA
Application development for TaxSys, a tax collection and
cashiering web service.
- Back- and front-end software development.
Engineer, Software Development Feb.
2012 – Aug. 2013
3M, Health Information Systems
(formerly CodeRyte, Inc.), Bethesda MD
Implementation engineering for CodeAssist, a medical record
coding web service.
- Implementation engineering of the ingestion, pre-processing,
and staging engine during client on-boarding.
- Application, data, and system troubleshooting and
issue resolution for client-facing teams.
- Review of configuration specifications and client data
prior to engineering hand-off.
- Support and training of junior implementation engineering staff.
Software and Support Engineer Oct.
2009 – Feb. 2012
Specialist Oct. 2007 – Oct.
Inc., Belmont MA
Support, maintenance, and development for
eXtyles, a manuscript editing and production application.
- Development of user-interface and platform code.
- Implementation of document conversion filters,
client editorial configurations, and configuration
- Development of application functionality for
validation and interchange of publication
- Support and development of technical operations,
including application build
system, automated test suite, and issue-tracking
- Delivery of user, administrator, and
developer-level training on eXtyles application
framework to clients.
- Technical support to end users for installation and
- Quality assurance for editorial
configurations and build deployments.
- Product prototyping, scripting, and
document analysis for sales support.
Freelance Editor Sep. 2007 – Oct.
Editorial Assistant July 2004 – Aug. 2007
Consumer Law Center, Boston MA
Compiled contents, edited, and provided
project-management support for legal manuals. Assisted with
development and production of legal manual series, including
copy editing, typescript coding, revision management,
fact-checking, and proofreading.
Editorial Assistant Aug. 2000 –
Brooks/Cole Publishing, Belmont CA
Administered manuscript submission and
peer review processes for higher-ed business math and
statistics textbook list. Coordinated editorial–production
communications and served as initial point of contact for
external editorial inquiries. Drafted editorial contracts,
budgets, and sales-forecast documentation.