Repository Programmer/Associate in ResearchJun.
2014 – Mar. 2015
Dryad Digital Repository, Durham NC
Development and refinement of Dryad digital respository application and interfaces.
Freelance Software DeveloperDec.
2013 – Present
Self-employed, Birmingham AL
Software and markup development.
Open Bilbiography : web
and markup development for a TEI-based digital
humanities startup project. The delivered prototype
is a low-overhead HTML/CSS/JS web publishing
solution for authors of descriptive bibliographies
targeting a relevant subset of TEI P5. Repository
available at Github. Example bibliography
- XSLT 2.0 stylesheet development for TEI-to-HTML5
functionality. Library and plugin usage includes:
jQuery, Saxon-CE, Underscore.
- CSS3/LESS prototyping using Bootstrap 3.1
Software Developer Oct. 2013 – Dec.
Street Group, Pittsburgh PA
Back- and front-end software
development for the TaxSys tax collection and
cashiering web application.
- Perl software development in Catalyst-based web
Engineer, Software Development Feb.
2012 – Aug. 2013
3M, Health Information Systems
(formerly CodeRyte, Inc.), Bethesda MD
Back-end software development for
the CodeRyte (now 3M) CodeAssist medical record
coding web application.
- Development and configuration of natural
language processing (NLP) staging and
pre-processing application during new client
- Design, development, and maintanance of
implementation engineering tooling used for data
analysis, configuration, and application
- Troubleshooting of systems, application, and
data for client-facing teams.
- Review of configuration specifications and data
prior to engineering handoff.
- Support and training of junior engineering
Software and Support Engineer Oct.
2009 – Feb. 2012
Specialist Oct. 2007 – Oct.
Inc., Belmont MA
Application development and
configuration, user training, quality control,
in-house IT infrastructure maintanance, user
technical support, and pre-sales engineering for
eXtyles, a manuscript editing and production tool
used by academic, government, NGO, and industry
- Development of application user-interface,
system, and and Microsoft Word plug-in code.
- Implementation of document conversion filters
and editorial-style configurations within eXtyles
- Development of application functionality for
validation and interchange of publication
- Development of application functionality to
structure and semantically enrich user content,
targeting standard and custom markup vocabularies
including NLM/JATS DTD, Federal Register DTD, and
CrossRef Deposit Schema.
- Maintenance and development of Inera technical
infrastructure, including application build
system, automated test suite, issue-tracking
database, configuration management tools, and
- Delivery of user, administrator, and
developer-level training on eXtyles application
framework to clients.
- Provided technical support for installation and
- Provided quality assurance for editorial
configurations and distributed builds.
- Provided product prototyping, scripting, and
document analysis for sales support.
Freelance Editor Sep. 2007 – Oct.
Editorial Assistant July 2004 – Aug. 2007
Consumer Law Center, Boston MA
Compiled contents, edited, and provided
project-management support for legal manuals. Assisted with
development and production of legal manual series, including
copyediting, typescript coding, revision management,
fact-checking, and proofreading.
Editorial Assistant Aug. 2000 –
Brooks/Cole Publishing, Belmont CA
Administered manuscript submission and
peer review processes for higher-ed business math and
statistics textbook list. Coordinated editorial–production
communications and served as initial point of contact for
external editorial inquiries. Drafted editorial contracts,
budgets, and sales-forecast documentation.